Ahead of the Fourth of July holiday, Acadian Ambulance would like to remind the public to celebrate safely. Fireworks and water sports injuries are the most common injuries we see, along with those caused by grilling, alcohol and motor vehicle crashes.
The best safety against fireworks is to leave them to the professionals. If you or others use them, light them outdoors in a clear area, away from buildings, cars and trees.
Don’t allow children to light fireworks, especially if there’s no adult around. Even sparklers can reach a temperature up to 2,000 degrees.
Keep a bucket of water or fire extinguisher nearby in case of rogue sparks.
Never ignite fireworks in a container, especially one that is glass or metal.
Wet used fireworks before throwing them away to ensure embers are put out.
Keep your pets in the house during fireworks. Secure them in a small interior room with a radio or TV playing to drown out noise. Windows and doors should be closed to keep the noise out and your pet in.
At a pool or on a beach, lake or river, make sure adults and children wear a properly fitting life jacket.
Always watch children who are in or near the water.
Don’t drink while driving a boat or vehicle.
Don’t float in the water near the boat’s exhaust, which contains high levels of carbon monoxide.
Watch for incoming weather, and don’t swim or boat if there is lightning nearby.
If you’re traveling to the beach, learn how to spot a rip current and how to escape from one.
Stay hydrated when spending time in the sun – drink water even if you don’t feel thirsty.
Use sunscreen and wear lightweight, light-colored and loose protective clothing when out in the sun.
Use your grill well away from your home and deck railings, and out from under branches or overhangs.
Open your gas grill before lighting.
Periodically remove grease or fat buildup in trays below your gas or propane grill so it cannot be ignited.
Declare a three-foot “kid- and pet-free zone” around the grill to keep them safe.
Avoid loose clothing that can catch fire when cooking on the grill.