Elray Kocke Service Inc. recognized by Parish
Ascension Parish President Kenny Matassa proclaimed July 7, 2016 as “Elray Kocke Service, Inc. Day” in Ascension Parish in honor of 100 years of service to Donaldsonville, Ascension Parish and the southern Louisiana region.
President Matassa read the proclamation aloud during the July 7 parish council meeting in Donaldsonville.
“The success of this business can be attributed to the deep commitment to the community and its customers, just as it was forged by Mr. Kocke many years ago,” Matassa said.
Kocke started his business in 1916 by collecting scrap iron, metals and lumber from old sugar mills he demolished. Success followed allowing him to invest in trucks to haul heavy equipment and machinery as he began servicing the oil industry.
Kocke strategically improvised when the oil field industry waned by purchasing oversized equipment to haul giant transformers for Louisiana Power and Light Company, while also selling new lumber, second-hand lumber and a complete line of building materials.
In 1953, Elray Kocke Service, Inc. brought Ready-Mixed Concrete to the area, and in 1964 they built a new office and display area at the former Weil’s Stables area at 511 Mississippi Street.
Elray Kocke Service, Inc. grew in the 80’s when they added plumbing and electrical supplies to their product lines.
Further expansion of services included installing and using an automated concrete batching plant with conveyor system in the 90’s, enabling them to handle large orders for their industrial customers.
Six generations later, Elray Kocke Service, Inc. is led by current officers: Elray “Tommy” Kocke, president; Karl Joseph Kocke, vice president/treasurer and Margaret “Mimi” Leah Kocke, secretary.