State Representative Walker Hines Announces Run For Secretary of State
“Over the past two months I have been meeting with Louisiana residents, constituents, and business leaders discussing my interest in serving as their next Secretary of State. It is clear that the State needs new, bold leadership dedicated to bringing jobs, jobs, and more jobs to Louisiana. As the next Secretary of State, I will work tirelessly to improve Louisiana's business climate, both making it more attractive for new businesses to relocate to Louisiana and helping to retain and grow existing Louisiana businesses.
As the next Secretary of State, I will apply my aggressive, reform-minded approach to public policy to improve Louisiana's election systems, modernize our State website, and facilitate job creation throughout Louisiana.
For far too long, Louisiana has elected and re-elected recycled politicians, preserving the status quo. Rest assured, I am the reform candidate with a battle tested record.
On day one, I will review and evaluate the performance of all Secretary of State personnel, determining whether or not existing or future vacancies need to be filled, and if not, reduce employment through attrition. As every State department endures drastic cuts, I will take the lead in identifying government waste in our office and returning any unused dollars to the State General Fund to be given back to taxpayers through tax cuts or dedicated to essential services, especially health care and higher education.
One of my plans for recruiting new businesses to Louisiana is to build an interactive platform and live online network to facilitate "GeauxBiz", in order to more effectively help those interested in opening new businesses in Louisiana. I am a bold leader and will take a hands on approach and personally respond to any business owner or entrepreneur interested in moving their business to Louisiana.
As I begin my fourth year serving in the State Legislature, I have maintained one of the most conservative, pro-business voting records in Louisiana. I have earned an 80% cumulative pro-business/reform voting record over my past three years according to the Louisiana Association of Business and Industry, the largest business organization in Louisiana.
Public Policy Accomplishments:
1) Voted for every major ethics reform
2) Authored and passed legislation which banned corrupt contractors from bidding on public contracts
3) Authored and passed “The Parental Responsibility Act” which attacked juvenile crime and truancy
4) Authored and passed the first ever umbilical chord blood banking program for pregnant mothers which may potentially cure their children of hundreds of diseases.
5) Opposed drastic cuts to higher education and healthcare
6) Voted against the 2009 and 2010 State Budgets which included tens of millions of dollars in earmarks, hundreds of millions in spending from one-time non-recurring revenue, and has left our State with billions in deficits
7) Vocally opposed and voted against the 2008 legislative pay raise
8) Authored legislation eliminating the personal state income tax, which if passed, would have made us more competitive with our neighboring States, Florida and Texas, which have no state income taxes.
9) Earned a reputation of fighting for lobbyist reforms, including authoring legislation to ban lobbyists from giving any elected official a free gift, meal, or drink. ?
To date, over 60 prominent civic and business leaders have agreed to serve on my campaign finance committee. Since January 2011, I have received over $600,000 in campaign pledges. This early financial commitment to my campaign demonstrates the confidence business leaders have placed in me as the next Secretary of State. Over the next ten months and beyond, I will be traveling to all 64 Parishes in Louisiana, spreading my message and meeting the great citizens of Louisiana.