Six men arrested in drive-by shooting
Ascension Parish sheriff’s deputies arrested six men Sunday in the slaying of a 23-year-old Donaldsonville man.
Jermaine James, 1416 Peytavin St., was driving a 1993 Nissan Altima at Elizabeth and Front streets when someone opened fire from a passing gray Ford Expedition, Lt. Col. Paul Robert, Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Office chief of criminal operations said.
Deputies were dispatched to 1011 Elizabeth St. at 12:54 a.m. and found James dead from multiple gunshot wounds, Robert said.
One of James’ three passengers also received a gunshot wound to the arm, Robert said.
Authorities put out a bulletin on the Explorer, and a deputy in Gonzales spotted the Expedition and pulled it over near the intersection of Hwy. 30 and Ashland Road, Robert said.
After questioning, all six occupants were arrested in James’ death and the attempted murder of the occupants, Robert said.
Two weapons have been recovered and the case is still under investigation, Robert said.
Those arrested are:
• Vontrell J. Steward, 19, of 1216 Coontrap Road, Gonzales, first degree murder, attempted first-degree murder and possession of marijuana.
• Kelvin Stewart, 25, 1216 Coontrap Road, Gonzales, first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder.
• Brian O. Steward, 17, of 108 Blackwell Lane, Belle Rose, first degree murder and attempted first-degree murder.
• Joseph Alexander Green III, 20, of 1109 Geismar, first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder and failure to appear for a bench warrant.
• Al Jerome Boyd, 19, of 407 Chetimatches St., Donaldsonville, first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder.
• Deangelo Q. Thomas, 21, 513 N. Marchand Rd., Gonzales, first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder.
All six men were incarcerated Monday in the parish jail in Donaldsonville with no bond set, Robert said.