Jeff Griffin introduced as APSO's District 1 captain
Ascension Parish Major Darryl Smith introduced Jeff Griffin as the new captain of the District 1 patrol division during the Dec. 13 Donaldsonville City Council meeting.
The Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office implemented three patrol division districts throughout the parish.
The districts include:
- District 1, which includes the City of Donaldsonville and areas of the west side of the parish.
- District 2, which includes Darrow, Galvez, St. Amant, and Sorrento, and is mostly to the east of Gonzales. It is led by Captain Hampton Rosevelt.
- District 3 includes Prairieville, Dutchtown, and Geismar. It is led by Captain Melvin Boudreaux.
Griffin said Smith has been a great mentor during the transition.
"I have some big shoes to fill," Griffin said during the meeting.
Jason Kling, who was also recently promoted, was introduced to the council.
APSO's major announcements included:
- Re-establishment of the K9 division.
- Creation of three patrol districts in each area of the parish.
- Awarded national accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc.
- Creation of a crime task force in Donaldsonville.
- Completion of the National FBI Academy leadership course.
- Implementation of body cameras
Leroy Williams honored
Donaldsonville Mayor Leroy Sullivan, the City Council, and Donaldsonville High School athletic director and football head coach Brian Richardson recognized Leroy Williams for his dedication to the community.
He was presented a ceremonial key to the city.
The council voted to cancel the Dec. 27 meeting as it was scheduled for the week of Christmas.
Members agreed to call a special meeting for any business that may arise before the end of the month.
Gonzales Weekly Citizen and Donaldsonville Chief, part of the USA Today Network of Louisiana, cover Ascension Parish and the greater Baton Rouge area. Follow at facebook.com/WeeklyCitizen and facebook.com/DonaldsonvilleChief.