Fuzzy gray and black growth on food among violations in Phoenix-area restaurant inspections
Maricopa County inspectors cited two Phoenix-area restaurants for four or more priority violations the week of Nov. 8.
A priority violation is a major violation that directly contributes to an increased risk of food-borne illness or injury. If listed in the reports, remedies implemented during the inspection visits are included.
At the bottom, see a sampling of the many restaurants graded as an "A" for no violations.
Chou's Kitchen, 1250 E. Apache Blvd., Suite 101, Tempe.
- Undated pot of unidentifiable solidified food believed to be soup base contained thick covering of fuzzy gray and black organic matter. And bucket of cabbage in water weighed down with a river rock and covered with a trash bag.| Discarded both.
- Raw chicken stored above ground pork; raw pork stored above diet coke cans; and raw pooled eggs and shelled eggs stored behind ready-to-eat cabbage, pickles, tomatoes and lotus flowers. | Rearranged to prevent cross-contamination.
- Not enough sanitizer in dishwasher. | Dishes will be sanitized at sink until dishwasher repaired.
- Bean curd, rice noodles, buckwheat noodles, soup base with meat, raw eggs, cabbage in water, diced cabbage and tofu not kept cold enough. | Thermostat lowered and items in cooler overnight discarded.
- Lotion, aspirin and spray paint stored above eggplants, plastic wrap and cutting boards. | Moved from kitchen area.
- Atmospheric valve breaker leaks when sink is in use. | To be repaired and re-inspected.
Salt Tacos Y Tequila, 6751 N, Sunset Blvd., Suite E109, Glendale.
- Employee pulled up pants with bare hands then washed hands for less than 3 seconds. | Rewashed hands for proper 20 seconds.
- Employee used bare hands to grab pickled jalapeños from a larger container for self-consumption. | Container of jalapeños discarded.
- No chlorine in final rinse of bar dishwasher. | Will use another dishwasher until repaired.
- Pinto beans improperly cooled. | Recently cooked beans transferred to shallow containers to cool. Beans made the previous day discarded.
Grade A restaurants
Gertrude's, 1201 N. Galvin Parkway.
Gorditas Lily, 13035 N. Cave Creek Road.
Grand Avenue Pizza Company, 1031 NW Grand Ave.
Oregano's Pizza Bistro Camelback, 1008 E. Camelback Road.
Taco Mich & Bar, 10430 N. 19th Ave.
Fellow Osteria & Pizzeria, 1455 N. Scottsdale Road, Suite 100.
Five Guys Burgers And Fries, 15435 N. Scottsdale Road, Suite 100.
Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches, 15425 N. Scottsdale Road.
Pars Persian Cuisine, 11144 N. Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd., Suite E9.
SugarJam The Southern Kitchen, 15111 N. Hayden Road, Suite 170.
Buono's Pizza Gilbert, 1464 E. Williams Field Road, Suite 108, Gilbert.
Costa Vida, 4010 S. Arizona Ave., Suite 2, Chandler.
Culver's, 630 E. Southern Ave., Tempe.
EVIT's Bistro 13, 1353 W. Main St., Mesa.
Hodori Soon Tofu, 1116 S. Dobson Road, Suite 111, Mesa.
Angry Crab, 11340 W. Bell Road, Unit 118, Surprise.
Jersey Mike's, 1177 S. Watson Road, Suite 104, Buckeye.
Pho for Days, 15703 N. 83rd Ave., Suite 100, Peoria.
Stardust Golf Course, 12702 W. Stardust Blvd., Sun City West.
Two Hands Seoul Fresh Corn Dogs, 10210 W. McDowell Road, Avondale.
Source: Maricopa County Environmental Services
Subscribers to azcentral get updated restaurant inspection reports every week. Have questions about the report? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for subscribing. This premium content is made possible because of your continued support of local journalism.